Please join me in welcoming Sherry Mayes to the blog today. Sherry is the author of the recently published YA book, Stop the World, which is for sale now on Amazon, and she’s answered a few questions for me so that we can get to know her.
Be sure to check out her Facebook and Amazon pages for more info about Stop the World!
1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
Since I was fifteen years old it was a real passion of mine.
2. What is your current writing project, or what did you just finish?
I’ve recently published my YA novel, Stop the World.
3. Do you have a favorite book that you’ve written? (or a favorite character, setting, etc…)
Jody Angel Taylor the main protagonist is a much loved character. She was inspired by a true story of a very gutsy lady. She has a car accident and nearly loses her life and then her mind but she is feisty and she somehow pulls herself through a nightmare.
4. Do you have any writing rituals that you adhere to?
When I am writing I wake up in the morning with a thirst to get on with things. So I can write for hours at a time until I get hungry or my eyes get red from staring at the screen.
5. Do you experience writers’ block, and if so, how do you deal with it?
If I feel blocked I always just sit down and start writing. Often just getting on with it, gets you through it.
6. Your favorite authors / genres / writing influences?
My reading range is wide. I love thrillers, suspense and YA. I’m a fan of Gillian Flynn, John Green and Emily Bronte.
7. Do your real life acquaintances or experiences ever find their way into your writing?
Absolutely. Stop the world is inspired by someone I met and I feel that is the only way I can personally create a story by drawing on what happens in everyday life – especially when you are creating a character with depth.
Both! Depending on my mood I can down a cup of either.
9. What hobbies do you enjoy when you’re not writing?
I love to cook and socialise with friends. I’m also a big movie buff so love to go and see a film.
10. Which fictional character would like to invite for dinner? Why?
I’d love to invite Alice from Alice in Wonderland along with the mad hatter and maybe the rabbit. They’d all have so many interesting stories to tell.
11. What book(s) / series can we expect to see from you in the future?
I’ve just finished a historical thriller called Letters to the Pianist which should be out in a few months.
Thank you Sherry!
About Sherry Mayes
Sherron, also known by her nickname, Sherry, has worked as a journalist for over twenty years. She has also written two self help books, which were both published as paperbacks in January 2003 and 2004 by Hodder & Stoughton, ‘Be Your Own Psychic’, a guide to using your intuition practically, and ‘Be Your Own Cupid, an intuitive guide to relationships.
Her first YA novel, STOP THE WORLD is out now.
Originally from Somerset, she currently lives in Berkshire, United Kingdom.
Visit her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SherryMayesauthor